Friday, November 6, 2009

Day 14: A Day of Compliments

First off readers, I apologize for being so blog lax. Actually I hate that word because it reminds me of poop, which in turn reminds me of Rachel, who I in turn love because she actually reads my blogs. So maybe I will say LAX loud and proud. And when you come back from the bathroom, here is my latest anecdote:

"Flatter someone today and see if it does indeed get you anywhere."

It must be nearing the holidays because I'm already turning into a younger, better toned version of Ebeneezer Scrooge. (P.S. If someone were to name their child Ebeneezer today, what would his nickname be? Ben? I shudder...) Anyway, it is now 6:35pm and I was thinking back on the day in terms of compliments. It pains me to admit that nothing remotely tiptoeing towards a compliment emerged from my mouth before about 5:45pm! OK sure, I slept in until about 10am, then went to the gym where I generally make it a rule to ignore every bitchy housewife and her school-ditching daughter, whereupon I returned home and had to actually Google my breakfast, "how to cook eggs over-easy," while I was Gchatting with Calin (like the shoutout, honey?). I guess the closest I came to complimenting her was by calling her a Betty (and me a Veronica) as we brainstormed names for our upcoming fashion blog. Does that count? I think that anyone who reads Archie comics would probably not prefer to be compared to the technicolor version of Olivia Newton John, aka Grease's Sandy before she became a pleather-wearing, chain-smoking skank.

Next I made it to the banks, yes plural, because being the product of divorce forces at least bi-monthly bank inconveniences. And we all know that there is little opportunity to wedge in a compliment at one of the dryest, most sterile institutions in the United States...although I almost complimented the teller on her nail polish, but it was about 2 shades of green off from the color I prefer most. So nope.

After depositing my paycheck I drove into an area of Sacramento that I despise almost more than any other: Arden. Imagine strip malls, Outback Steakhouses, sushi warehouses (I mean, restaurants) named Tex Wasabi that manufactures gargantuan "Gringo Sushi" that has names like Jackass and Screaming Gobbler, a turkey, pepper jack, and mayonaisse roll. Yummers... After retching out the window at every other stoplight, I made it to Aaron Brothers Framing where I purchased a relatively inexpensive, shamelessly pretentious, flagrantly gaudy diploma frame. Ironically, it was made in Indonesia. Insert guilt here.

As I road raged my way home, I realized that over easy eggs hadn't satisfied me and that my overtly gloomy behavior and compliment deficiency was simply the result of an underfed tummy. I promptly asked Rachel where I should go to eat and she wasn't very helpful when she suggested Jack's, a SALAD BAR!!! I still love you though, Ape. I decided on Opa Opa, a Greek cafeteria-style restaurant at which I indulge myself from time to time. When I say "indulge," I'm not referring to food entirely; rather, I indulge on the attention. The thickly-accented Greek workers call me "love" and always compliment me on my outfit. What more can a grumpy girl ask for than a meal and an ego-boost? Of course, I couldn't return the compliment at that point because I was blushing too much.

Finally, after eating half my falafel gyro (the take-out menu claims it's pronounced year-o) and all my side of spanakopita, Igor, my stepsister's boyfriend came home. He's living in Sacramento during the week to work on a prestigious science fellowship at the capitol. At this point (about 5:45pm), he had packed and loaded his car. He was thanking me for letting him crash the party pad while the parents were away when I could easily have been using it for, well...parties. But honestly, I didn't care! He left the parents two bottles of wine and presented me with a pot of my second favorite flower, orchids. Then he said I could eat any of the food he'd brought with him and after asking if I used iTunes, gave me a gift card, a perk he'd received at work! I could get used to this! But seriously, he's a terrific, gracious, helpful dude so I had no choice but to compliment him and let him know he could come back any time. Mind you, this is not really my house to be offering, but he's the kind of person who's welcome anywhere. So he deserved my first compliment of the day. I haven't yet made another, but it's Friday and the night is still young...

1 comment:

  1. it would count EXCEPT that i wanted to be veronica :-P

    ReplyDelete