Monday, April 11, 2011

The Chair Project- Day 1

Long time, no blog huh? Well, for anyone who is still subscribing, you'll be happy (or bored) to know that I'm working on a new project. In it, I'll be documenting every chair that I sit in every day. My ventures in ass-to-seat will be an experiment in inactivity, something that I'm sadly more aware of now that grad school has rendered me a reading/writing vegetable.

Overall, it will be a commentary on the rise in sedentariness, and thus obesity, in America. I also hope to make it fun! I'll document my travels between chairs: walks around the park, dancing in roller skates, and doing the wave at a Yankees game. Ultimately, I'll include a map that will track my adventures around New York City. I'll be a reverse tour guide, showing you where to sit all over the city, but more importantly, what to do in between the butt padding.

I hope to learn the following:
--How many times do I sit/stand on average every day?
--How many different chairs do I sit in every week?
--How many hours do I spend sitting vs. standing?
--Can I get more people to contribute? If so, do their lifestyles change the statistics?
--What are the BEST chairs in the city?

So here goes! I have to leave some photos blank since I'm new at this whole "take a picture of every seat you're in" deal.

Thursday, April 7, 2011:























Yes, these are all the different chairs I sat in that day, in order of appearance:
--subway to school
--bus seat to West Point
--chairs during foreign correspondent simulation exercise
--subway station, Broadway/Lafayette
--naptime (does that count as a chair?)
--stretching on court before my volleyball game
--desk chair for homework

(note some of them were repeated: bus, subway, bed, so I'll include the stats below for each day)

How many different chairs: 7
New chairs: 7
Total times seated: 13
Approximate number of hours seated: 11.5
Sleep: 9 hours
TOTAL SEDENTARY TIME: 20.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment